The Champion Spark Plug Company was founded on June 10, 1905 by Albert Champion and brothers Spencer U. and Frank D. Stranahan in Boston, Massachusetts. Its industry was spark plugs and its headquarters were in Boston, Massachusetts (1905-1910) and Toledo, Ohio (1910-1998). It was acquired by Cooper Industries in 1989. In 1998, it was acquired by the Federal-Mogul Corporation who continues to market the "Champion" brand. Champion is also a longtime sponsor of various racing events, cars, and series.